Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Extra! Extra!! There's a fortune to be made in ministerial life! Oh wait....

No, I'm not a naive idiot. And I'm definitely not new at this.  I've been married to a youth minister for almost eight years now and I will definitely say there aren't any million dollar salaried positions in any church ministry position, and nothing even close for those low on the totem pole teen wranglers.

It's uber-cheesy, and it's taken me these past eight years to actually recognize this, but you CAN have a rich life in ministry, and it really isn't that hard, because in ministry, your fortune is an investment -- it's an investment into people, communities, faith and hope.  Like I said, cheesy, but true.

Don't worry though, I hate cheesy writing, so this blog is not going to be aimed at talking about those aspects of life... although I pray that everyone has a chance in their own corner of the world to invest in people, community and faith as often as we as a family do.

This blog is actually about my internal struggle against this previously mentioned concept.  Honestly, I wish we could make a million dollars in youth ministry.  And it's not because of a noble desire to donate all of those millions of dollars to building wells in Africa.  Of course, if I had the theoretical million dollars a year, I'd for sure give away most of it, because I think it would actually be impossible to spend $1 million a year in northern Alabama on only yourself.   And as a disclaimer -- I think organizations who build wells in Africa while also spreading the Gospel are the best thing since sliced bread, so if I DID have $1 million / year, I'd definitely give most of it to them.  But, again, honestly, I'd make darn sure there was some left in the bank for me and my family.

Lest you think, oh good, this girl at least knows how to save some money for her kids' college and how to consolidate her loans / pay off debt / etc.,  No.  I'd try to keep it for myself because I want a new kitchen in my house.  I also want to refinish my hardwoods.  I love eating out at trendy and expensive restaurants. Also, I need a new wardrobe for my husband because he only wears the same five shirts over and over again (not because he only has 5 shirts, but because he's stubborn that way :-) )  Heck, while I'm at it, if we made $1 million a year, I'd just go ahead and buy a bigger house.  Less dust and dirt than reno-ing a kitchen.
Oh..... you sadly say, shaking your head... this poor girl clearly has no idea about the concept of being good stewards of what God has given us.  And how Jesus told us to leave everything we have, pick up our cross, and follow Him.  How has no one ever told this child about storing up treasures in heaven and not wasting our time worrying about here on earth??

Don't worry! My Sunday School teachers didn't fail me.  I do know all of these things. And I also believe all of them to be 100% true and good.  My problem is... while my heart is right there with all of those statements... my brain doesn't always comply.  I find myself in a constant struggle to actually live by this code. Because pretty, shiny new kitchens are gorgeous.  And clothes are fun.  And hardwoods look better with no scratches in them.

So that's what this blog is starting out as.  Maybe I'm secretly hoping there are other Christian women out there who struggle with these same things?  That perhaps I'm not the only ministry wife out there who loves a good designer purse??  Or maybe that even if yours isn't a struggle with worldly goods, it's something else?  Like the secretly alluring world of gossip?  Or guilty pleasures like marathon runs of celebrity reality shows or the 1,234th season of The Bachelor?  Come on, ladies!  I can't be the only one!!

Thus, here it is... my new blog. This is my way to lay out my struggles as I navigate this world that's so, well, worldly... all while learning to grow in my faith as a good steward, faithful wife hopefully a good example for my children as they grow.  And lest you worry again that there's totally no hope for me because I'm clearly the most greedy person in the history of mankind, I have some good news for you.  Thankfully, my husband, Dan, is awesome because not only does he believe all of the aforementioned things, he also lives that way! And to his credit, he is uber-patient with me as I work through all of this day after day. Goodness I love that guy!  Not only is he the cutest, he's an amazing father to our girls and such a great reflection of what Christ taught us to be.  He loves people, loves the Kingdom and everything to do with it.. and the rest of the non-important stuff?  Eh... he could take it or leave it.  Maybe that's why he's the youth minister and I'm just the wife??  Hmmm....


1 comment: