I really love frivolity!
I enjoy wearing trendy clothes, I own more shoes than the years I've been alive, I hate the ancient stained countertops in my kitchen, and I wish my entire house looked like the HGTV Dream home.
I also do my very best to not make these things the focus of my thoughts and attentions, because, let's face it, material wealth ultimately doesn't get you happiness in life, even if its wrapped in a label deemed "super cute."
But now that I'm finally out with who I really am and what I struggle with, I feel the need to ask... WHY?
Don't worry -- I'm not asking the readers of this blog to help me with this existential dilemma.
I'm actually asking God. Why did YOU make me this way, God, if it seems to so often contradict what you command us as believers to be? Or ... if we're even more brutally deep, DID you make me this way, or am I this way because of the sinful nature that invades every human existence?
My first instinct is that, sadly, this may all be a result of sin, because, as scripture says, "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7) And I think most of scripture points to the concept that material wealth means nothing in light of eternity. So why do so many women -- sweet, wise, godly women -- feel this incessant need to make their reality look just a tad cuter?
Perhaps the answer can be found in the fact that despite God's firm warning that we shouldn't put all of our eggs in the "how do I look?" basket, there is an element of a godly woman that does involve an appreciation for material beauty.
We don't need to look any further than Proverbs 31. It's an often quoted passage, and in my opinion as a woman, one of the more beautiful Proverbs. There are several different qualities of "The Proverbs 31" woman listed in the chapter. Here are a few:
- "She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet" (vs.21)
- "She makes bed coverings for herself: her clothing is fine linen and purple" (22)
- "She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night." (18)
- "She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness" (27)
I could go on and on, but from these verses, it's clear that there is SOME value placed on how a woman takes care and "clothes" her home and household. Fine linens... purple... scarlet... sounds beautiful (and expensive? :-) )
Isn't that a relief??!! We can still have pretty things and be considered godly! Scriptural evidence! AMEN! Praise the Lord!! End of Blog.
Not so fast............. And don't feel bad if you are familiar with this scripture and like to stop after reading those verses. I do it. I've even been known to quote this scripture to my husband when he complains about the latest window treatments I bought. Horrible -- I know!
You can't read this scripture completely and the way it was intended without finishing the chapter.
"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Giver her the fruit of her hands and let her works praise her in the gates." (vs.30 & 31)
Wait. Did that last passage literally just negate everything the previous twenty verses seemed to be saying? Can I really NOT clothe my house in lavish purple linens with God's blessing? Dang it.
Happy dance! I don't think that's what's happening here! Here's the jist of what I think is the essence of this passage--
It all comes down to the difference between men and women and how God made us. Scripture constantly encourages men to be strong, be courageous, be firm in your faith and be the head of your household in a loving yet leading way etc., That's what makes a godly man.
This passage encourages women in different ways. We have an eye for beautiful things. God made us that way. We can embrace it, if we use it wisely. AND -- BIG CAVEAT here -- if we remember that in the end, we need to love and fear the Lord above all else. He gave us the gift of beauty, and He made us out of love. And we have to use who we are with a purpose and not just to fulfill selfish vanity. If we do that, we're sinning. We need to serve the Lord above all else. We also need to work hard, and take care of our household and family. But, we CAN do it in style! Isn't that fantastic?! I think so :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment